The state of Victoria is set to launch a three-month pilot program introducing mandatory card-based gambling at 43 venues beginning in September. This initiative, part of the government’s wider strategy to curb gambling-related harm, will require patrons to use the YourPlay card system and set spending limits before playing electronic gaming machines.
Trial will span three regions and require loss limits:
The upcoming trial will run simultaneously across venues located in Monash, Greater Dandenong, and Ballarat. Players at participating venues will need to register for and use a YourPlay card, which can be issued immediately on-site. The cards are designed to encourage responsible gambling by allowing players to pre-set their loss limits and monitor their activity.
Although originally intended to start mid-2025, the pilot program was postponed to allow for the passage of the Gambling Legislation Amendment (Pre-commitment and Carded Play) Bill 2024, which cleared Parliament on 27 May. The delay also gave the government time to consider technology-neutral approaches and review best practices nationwide, according to the Victorian Gambling and Casino Control Commission.
Minister for Casino, Gaming and Liquor Regulation, Enver Erdogan, called the initiative a critical step in tackling problem gambling. “We’re leading the country with our major reforms to prevent gambling harm across Victoria,” Erdogan said. “This trial is an important first step – helping people take control of their gambling and make better choices.”
Industry pushback over short notice and tech concerns:
Despite government assurances that training, materials, and support will be provided to all venues involved, some industry voices have raised concerns over the trial’s execution. Community Clubs Victoria CEO Andrew Lloyd stated that venues were notified only at the end of last week, with an information session scheduled for the following Tuesday. However, not all invited parties received the communication, he said.
According to Lloyd, “The invitation to the information session was received by venues who are not in the trial and some venues in the trial never received the email.” He further criticized the short notice and flagged the financial burden placed on clubs, which may have to allocate more staff to assist players with the card system—incurring unexpected payroll expenses.
“The clubs will have to increase their staff rosters to ensure they have a substantial number of staff on the gaming floor explaining everything to the customers – and that’s unbudgeted wage costs. But it’s critical for a trial, you need to really look after and inform your customers,” Lloyd added, as reported by Club Management.
Lloyd also questioned the use of YourPlay technology, describing it as outdated. “The minister said he wanted technology for the next 20 years, but YourPlay isn’t it. It’s very clunky. Why are you trialling outdated technology?”
In addition, he urged the government to release the evaluation report from a similar carded play implementation at Crown Casino before expanding the program statewide. “Why are you pushing ahead with this trial when you haven’t even released the evaluation report of Crown Casino? Did the Crown Casino carded-play implementation meet its objective?”
This pilot is one of several gambling reforms introduced by the Allan Labor Government in recent months. These include mandatory closures for gaming areas from 4 a.m. to 10 a.m., slower spin speeds for new gaming machines, a $500 daily cap on EFTPOS withdrawals per card, a freeze on the number of gaming machines in the state until 2042, and a ban on cheque cashing services near gaming venues. A new code of conduct has also been implemented to ensure venues take greater responsibility for addressing signs of problem gambling.
Many of these changes mirror the tough standards already imposed on Crown Melbourne following the findings of the Finkelstein Royal Commission. Since then, the operator has regained its suitability status, along with its locations in Sydney and Perth.