Crown Sydney and The Star Sydney have received combined penalties of $2.25 million after a 16-year-old repeatedly entered both casinos using a fraudulent driver’s licence in 2025.
The NSW Independent Casino Commission (NICC) fined Crown Sydney $1.75 million after the teenager accessed the Barangaroo venue 19 times between April and August 2025. During his visits, he obtained silver membership status and was served complimentary alcohol.
The Star Sydney was fined $500,000 after allowing the same teenager to enter its casino three times during the same period.
The breaches were identified following an investigation by Liquor and Gaming NSW (L&GNSW), which referred the matter to the NICC for disciplinary action.
NICC Chief Commissioner Philip Crawford said both operators had acknowledged failures in their identity verification and customer onboarding procedures.
“The NICC acknowledges that both casinos have accepted responsibility for the significant failures in their identity verification and customer onboarding processes which have allowed this minor to enter their venues repeatedly and over a significant period of time,” Crawford said in a press release.
“However, this does not diminish the seriousness of allowing a 16-year-old to enter casino gaming areas and gamble away a significant amount of money. In the case of Crown Sydney this also included the illegal service and consumption of complimentary alcohol.”
Identity Checks Under Regulatory Review
The regulator said the incident showed weaknesses in controls designed to prevent minors from accessing casino gaming areas.
L&GNSW Executive Director of Regulatory Operations Dimitri Argeres described the failures as unacceptable.
“The breakdown in safeguards that allowed a vulnerable young person to repeatedly access casino gaming areas and suffer actual harm is unacceptable,” Argeres said.
Crawford added that identity verification systems play a key role in preventing underage gambling, fraud and criminal activity within casinos.
“Maintaining effective identity verification processes is not only a necessary tool in the protection of minors but for detecting fraud and criminal activity in NSW casinos.”
Alongside the financial penalties, both operators committed to additional remediation measures. These include improving identity verification processes, strengthening customer onboarding procedures and providing further staff training.
The teenager has also been banned from attending either casino for five years, starting from the date he turns 18.
Under the Casino Control Act 1992, the NICC has authority to impose penalties of up to $100 million for serious breaches.
Operators Respond After Investigation
Crown Sydney said it takes its obligations regarding minors and false identification seriously.
“We notified the regulator after becoming aware the individual was underage and have co-operated with its investigation,” a Crown spokesperson said.
The company also confirmed that the teenager’s mother was present during some visits.
The Star Sydney was contacted for comment following the regulator’s decision.
The penalties add further scrutiny to The Star Sydney, which remains under a suspended licence arrangement introduced in October 2022. State-appointed manager Nick Weeks will continue overseeing the casino until at least September 30, 2026.
The Star Sydney previously received a $10 million penalty after regulators found failures related to compliance and financial crime risk management.
