American casino operator Wynn Resorts Limited has reportedly announced that it will be laying off an unspecified number of workers at its two Las Vegas properties owing to a slow-down in business being blamed on the coronavirus pandemic.
According to a report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper, the firm detailed that the move is due to impact employees at its Wynn Las Vegas and Encore Las Vegas venues who had earlier been temporarily furloughed as Nevada’s casino industry endured a 78-day shutdown that only ended on June 4.
Michael Weaver, a spokesperson for the Las Vegas-headquartered operator, reportedly told the newspaper that Wynn Resorts Limited has taken the decision to lay off some of its employees due to a recent drop in the numbers of people visiting its properties following an initial post-lockdown spike. He purportedly also detailed that the affected workers will continue to remain eligible for company-backed health benefits through to the end of October after earlier receiving their full wages throughout the course of the coronavirus-induced lockdown.
Weaver reportedly stated…
“Although we retained all of our people while we were closed, we now know how challenged business volumes in Las Vegas are and are staffing to the significantly reduced demand.”
It was further reported that Wynn Resorts Limited is moreover set follow the example earlier set by rival Las Vegas Sands Corporation in beginning to shutter some of its weekday operations in southern Nevada. The newspaper cited Marilyn Spiegel, President for the Wynn Las Vegas and Encore Las Vegas properties, as declaring that business has been ‘very slow’ at the two venues and that the move is set to encompass non-gaming amenities such as casual restaurants.
Spiegel reportedly told the newspaper…
“Let’s face it, coronavirus is putting a damper on everyone’s travel plans. We are trying our very best to encourage our guests to come back and visit but their concerns for their health and safety are overriding their desire to travel.”
The newspaper reported that these mid-week closures are to additionally impact the firm’s fine dining establishments in addition to the standard valet services for the Wynn Las Vegas and Encore Las Vegas. However, Spiegel purportedly proclaimed that there will still be ‘plenty of places’ for weekday guests to eat and that Wynn Resorts Limited is to committed to continually reviewing its decision so as to be able to meet customer demand.
Spiegel reportedly declared…
“We are going to have a rolling schedule of closures by day of week. You may see that one restaurant is closed four days a week but that it’s always going to be open on weekends when we have the most demand. Another may be closed three days a week or two days a week.”