Following the recent shooting and arson attack at the Resorts World Manila venue that left 38 dead and 54 injured, casino operator Melco Resorts and Entertainment (Philippines) Corporation has reportedly beefed up security at its nearby City of Dreams Manila property.
According to a report from Asia Gaming Brief citing local media sources, the operator, which is a subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Melco Resorts and Entertainment Limited, explained that it has now instituted a program of pat-downs, bag searches and car inspections for all guests visiting the $1.3 billion Manila venue while also stationing armed guards along the perimeter of the property, inside its garage and near all of its entrances.
“Following the incident at Resorts World Manila, we are on heightened alert,” read a statement from Melco Resorts and Entertainment (Philippines) Corporation. “[We have] augmented security personnel further and received additional support from local law enforcement.”
The June 2 violence at Resorts World Manila saw former government employee Jessie Javier Carlos storm the property while shooting at security guards and setting fires before reportedly committing suicide. It is alleged that the attacker was heavily indebted as a result of a gambling addiction, while the casino inside the facility operated by Travellers International Hotel Group Incorporated remains closed pending the results of an official investigation.
“For the safety of our guests and colleagues, which is our paramount concern at all times, strict security measures have been implemented around and in our property,” read the statement from Manila-based Melco Resorts and Entertainment (Philippines) Corporation. “We have a security presence at every entrance that is also supplemented with metal detectors, X-ray machines and canine support. With our collective efforts, we hope we can all get back to making the Philippines one that its citizens can be proud of and a destination that tourists are fond of.”
In related news, Enrique Razon, Chairman for Asian casino operator Bloomberry Resorts Corporation, reportedly told the local Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper earlier this month that his firm’s neighboring Solaire Resort and Casino has long been one of the most security-conscious gaming properties in the Philippines.
“Our security measures are quite stringent already,” Razon told the newspaper on June 8. “We started beefing up our security measures after the Davao bombing last year and then we increased the security level when the Marawi incident started. We are already very tight. We probably are much more concerned with security on a normal basis. We also have canine units, surveillance systems and control rooms. We even have security watching the security.”
Razon reportedly proclaimed that these measures are essential in order to reassure guests that they can enjoy everything his firm’s $1.2 billion Manila property has to offer without worrying about their personal security.
“[Safety] is extremely sensitive because it is a hospitality business,” Razon told the Philippine Daily Inquirer, “You have a hotel and you have food and beverage outlets so people have to feel safe. We have to make sure people feel safe when they are on the property or in the country for that matter.”