A media invitation for the February 13 “grand opening” of its MGM Cotai was reportedly issued on Tuesday by MGM China Holdings Ltd. After having delayed the opening of its Cotai development several times, the Macau-based gaming operator flagged what it termed the “grand opening” in early January.
According to GGRAsia, it had inquired as to what facilities the company would be launching at its HKD27-billion (US$3.45-billion) Macau venue on that day but had not received a reply as of online publication of this story.
However, GGRAsia did reportedly receive confirmation from the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO) that the hotel license application for MGM Cotai has been approved by the city’s hotel licensing body [MGTO] on Tuesday.
In an emailed statement, the tourism bureau reportedly said, “MGTO received the opinions from relevant technical departments on February 6 and has approved the licence application [for MGM Cotai].”
The MGTO added: “The final inspection to the hotel and establishments inside the property will be carried out upon receiving the inspection request from the applicant [the property promoter]. The hotel licence will be issued if they pass the final inspection,” according to GGRAsia.
Director for the MGTO, Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes, reportedly said on January 31, that a license for the hotel at MGM Cotai could not be guaranteed by her department ahead of Chinese New Year. The important Chinese festival falls on Friday, February 16 this year and during the period the casino market in Macau typically sees a spike in gambling.
In a note last week, investment bank Morgan Stanley stated that what is MGM China’s second Macau property will open with approximately 1,400 rooms and that the casino will offer 950 slot machines, 177 mass gaming tables and 200 electronic table games (ETGS).