In Nevada and the 2,884-room Treasure Island Las Vegas has reportedly announced that it will be re-opening from May 15 even though there has yet to be any official word as to when the western state’s ongoing coronavirus-related casino shutdown is to conclude.
According to a Thursday report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper, Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak implemented a month-long shuttering for every one of the around 440 casinos in ‘The Silver State’ in mid-March before later extending this stoppage through to April 30. The 66-year-old Democrat purportedly recently explained that this closure order is likely due to be lengthened as officials have yet to start a required 14-day re-opening countdown, which can only be initiated once the number of coronavirus cases have begun to diminish.
The newspaper reported that the website for the 26-year-old Treasure Island Las Vegas, which is located at the northern end of the Las Vegas Strip near to The Venetian Resort Las Vegas, details that the venue has been temporarily closed due to Sisolak’s order but ‘will reopen on May 15’. However, a spokesperson for the four-star property, Jennifer Renzelman, purportedly declared that this plan is ‘subject to change’ and that management is currently ‘monitoring the ongoing situation’ and intends to ‘follow the advice of federal, state and local government and health agencies’.
Renzelman reportedly told the Las Vegas Review-Journal…
“As of right now, that is the plan. No matter what, we are adhering to the Governor’s official recommendations. We are working with vendors to procure appropriate safety and sanitation measures, which is why we moved our tentative date last week from May 1 to May 15.”
The newspaper reported that the websites for Las Vegas casino stalwarts Caesars Entertainment Corporation, MGM Resorts International, Boyd Gaming Corporation and Station Casinos are moreover currently accepting reservations from May 15 even though Sisolak recently proclaimed that Nevada is set ‘to continue with the social distancing and the avoidance of large group gatherings’.
Sisolak reportedly told the newspaper…
“We have not started a downward trajectory. So, I can’t give you that day but I can tell you for certain some of the directives will have to be extended. We’re clearly not going to be opening up any gaming establishments and [with] some of the other businesses, we’re going to have to continue with the social distancing and the avoidance of large group gatherings and whatnot regardless.”